New Resident Welcome Packet

Welcome to Narberth Borough!

We are excited to have you as a resident and we hope that you find the following information helpful! If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (610) 664-2840 or

Need to Reserve a Parking Spot for Your Move?

You can rent traffic safety cones for a $25 security deposit per cone (maximum of 6 cones). Please submit the Traffic Cone Request Form available at: along with the deposit at Borough Hall. Security deposits will be returned once the cones are returned.

Weekly Information Sent Directly to Your Inbox

Did you know that the Borough of Narberth sends out weekly emails to inform citizens about upcoming meetings, important information, and local events? Want to hear more about what’s happening in Narberth next week? Subscribe to the weekly emails by filling out the form at

Get to Know Your Local Government

For a list of government officials, including Mayor, Council, Boards and Commissions members, Tax Collector, and meeting schedules, visit

Animal Warden Services

Narberth Borough does not have a lost pet registry, but we encourage you to contact the Narberth Police Department by calling 911 and asking to be directed to a Narberth Officer.

Dog Licenses

A dog license is a ticket home for a lost dog. 🏠 Set your dog’s mind, and your own, at ease. Get your license now! Dog licenses are available from your local county treasurer and other licensing agents or online at:


Residents who live along a 2-hour parking zone are eligible for parking permits and visitor parking permits for their guests. These parking permits allow residents to park on their street for longer than 2 hours without being subject to a parking violation.

How to apply for parking permits:

To pay violations:

*NOTE: Narberth Borough does not have permitted parking for meters.


If you are planning on doing work on your home or business and are unsure if you are required to file for a permit, please contact the Code Enforcement Department at Narberth Borough and discuss the project with code officials before beginning construction. Permit applications can be found at:

Permit application forms and fees are due at the time of submission. There is a maximum review turnaround time of (15) business days for all residential permit applications and (30) business days for commercial permit applications.

Don’t make a judgement call; make a phone call to 811!

  • Notify your local one call center by calling 811 or making an online request 2-3 days before work begins. Be sure to check our state map to find out how far in advance you need to call.
  • Wait the required amount of time for affected utility operators to respond to your request.
  • Confirm that all affected utility operators have responded to your request and marked underground utilities.
  • Respect the marks.
  • Dig Carefully around the marks with care.

Prescription Drug Disposal

Narberth Borough has a secured drop-off box at Borough Hall for prescription and over-the-counter tablets and capsules, inhalers, creams, ointments, nasal sprays, pet medicines and vaping products. 

*NOTE: Not accepted are needles, liquid meds and intravenous/injectable solutions.

If you have any questions, please contact the Narberth Borough Police Department.

Sewer Service

Sewer rates are included in property taxes and are based on the real cost of providing services. The Tax Collector is responsible for billing and collecting property taxes.

Trash and Recycling Collection

Trash and recycling services are provided by J.P. Mascaro and the fees are paid by solid waste taxes. Residents do not need to call Narberth Borough or Mascaro to sign up for trash and recycling services. For information on collection schedules, special recycling services, and how to request a new recycling container, please visit

*NOTE: Narberth Borough does not provide trash containers to residents

Volunteer Opportunities

Information on volunteer opportunities that are currently available and how to apply, please visit:

Voting Information

You must update your voter registration with the State if you:

  1. Move or change your address;
  2. Change your name; or 
  3. Wish to change your party. 

Water Service

Water service is provided by AQUA PA. Please call AQUA PA at 1-877-987-2782 or e-mail to set up your account and billing.

Work Order Requests – How to Report an Issue

Reportable issues observed in the Borough can be submitted to the Borough office by following one of the steps below. If the issue is a matter of public health, please skip to the next section on how to report the issue to the Montgomery County Health Department.

  1. Submit a request online using our MyGov Portal. Please visit our MyGov Information page for details on how to get started. Requests can be submitted anonymously, however, contact information must be submitted to view status updates. 
  2. Download the Work Order form from the Borough’s website, and complete the Personal Information and Issue sections. Submit the completed Work Order form in-person at Borough Hall between the hours of 8AM-4PM, M-F, or mail it to 100 Conway Avenue, Narberth, PA 19072. You may also drop off the form in the secure lockbox located outside of the Haverford Avenue entrance of Borough Hall.

The Montgomery County Health Department enforces the County Public Health Code within the Borough. If a health-related issue is observed in the Borough, please contact the Montgomery County Health Department branch office in Norristown at 610-278-5117 and ask for the Environmental Field Services Complaint Coordinator.